Back in February I wrote about how the truss rod on this guitar broke.
I hemmed and hawed about what should be the replacement neck. The priority was to get as close of a match as we can to the broken neck. So 9.5″ radius, medium C profile, and rosewood fretboard. I looked at Warmoth and Allparts, and Warmoth are expensive and have very long wait times. Allparts are more affordable, especially the unfinished necks, but I wasn’t ready to get into spraying lacquer again. Then it hit me that I should be looking for an actual MIM neck from around that same time (2004), because that’ll be the closest match. A few weeks ago I finally found it, and they’re almost exactly the same:
The last three pictures show the fit of the brass nut on the new neck. The new neck is slightly wider.
The first thing I did when I received the neck was to check how straight it was. With the truss rod loosened all the way and no string tension, the neck was straight when sighting down from the headstock. A ruler showed a slight bow, but it was pretty minimal. I’m mentioning this because the broken neck has a pretty serious bow with no string tension. Like, very visible from the headstock. No wonder the truss rod broke. I should have taken a picture of it when I still had it.
The frets on the new one are in a better condition and it plays better than the old one past the 12th fret. My friend is very happy with it, and so am I. I’m really happy this project is finally behind me.
One last picture from when my friend picked it up: