Studer B67 meters faceplates

I couldn’t stand the meters on my Studer B67 being so scratched up and hazy. It’s wasn’t just a matter of looks but functionality also – it’s not easy to read the meters. Definitely not from a couple feet away.

IMG_20150830_095914

I know from working on guitars that I can wet sand and polish out the scratches and haziness, but it wasn’t clear how to remove the panels from the meters, and if it necessitates removing the whole meter. I talked to a friend I made on the Yahoo Studer mailing list, and he said that the panels come off by pulling them. I tried that, and there was some movement, but it felt like I might be tearing out the whole meter. I asked around online and got nothing. I checked the manual again, and while I didn’t find anything that explicitly says how to remove the panels, I did find the section about changing out the bulbs. To do that, the manual says to “open the VU meter panel”, and I took that to mean that there really isn’t anything very sophisticated about this. So I tried again with a bit more wiggling and the panels came off.

If you got here because you were searching how to remove the VU meters’ front panels – they come off by pulling. Wiggle them gently as you pull and they will come off. Be careful because the needle assembly is right under them.

The A80s have the same meters, so I believe their panels are removed the same way.

Here are pictures of each panel before I started working on them:

IMG_20150910_173938

IMG_20150910_225121

Here’s the first one when I was done with it:

IMG_20150910_223719

Here’s a comparison between them on the machine:

IMG_20150910_224124

Then the left one after it was done:

IMG_20150911_153157

And the two back on the machine!

IMG_20150911_153306

I followed the same sanding process I always do – start with 400 grit and go up to 2000 without skipping any grits in between (so 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000). Then buff using McGuire’s Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. With the left meter (see that crack?), I first got superglue into the crack, let it dry, then scraped the glue off and did the sanding and polishing. The crack is visible, but I didn’t try to remove it – the purpose was to stabilize it.

Sorry for putting so many pictures up. For once I remembered to document the process, but I’m also very proud of the job I did and wanted to show off a bit.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s